Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Red Tree

Author:Shaun Tan
Illustrator: Shaun Tan
Published: In 2003 by Simply Read Books
ISBN: 978-0968876831

Synopsis: 

    What happens when you wake up with nothing to look forward to?  You feel isolated overwhelmed and misunderstood?  Most everyone has felt all or at least some combination of these feelings and the young girl depicted in The Red Tree, is no different.  Her melancholy radiates off the pages thanks to Shaun Tan's thought provoking illustrations.  The subdued intensity of his illustrations transfers the girl's isolation and depression directly to the reader;  it's a heart wrenching and disconcerting experience that may not be appropriate for young children.      

My Reaction: 

     Over the past few days I have shared The Red Tree with a number of people.  It was fascinating to watch their faces and listen to their strong reactions.  After hearing and seeing the first page of the book they often seemed apprehensive about the story because it left them (and myself) feeling very ill at ease with it's simple phrase "sometimes the day begins with nothing to look forward to."  I know I was immediately puzzled, thinking that's not the way stories usually start, espeically for children.  Other responses I received from friends were "it's so melancholy," and "what kind of a book for kids starts out so depressing?"  But there it was staring us all in the face, infecting us, the feeling of listless hopelessness.  The emotions radiate off every page, starting with a single floating leaf on the gray end page.  As you read through the book it becomes clear that it's creator is an artist.  Shaun Tan manages to capture and evoke the dark and and indescribable nature of feelings of depression, and isolation.  For me, this meant the book was an emotional roller coaster, dropping me into my own past.  There have been times when I have felt similar feelings.  I think the fact that this book wields that kind of power makes it uncomfortable and yet fascinating to read.  

       The strength of the emotions in The Red Tree do raise the question, is this book really suitable for young children?  I know my gut reaction is no.  Just like many other adults before me, I want to protect children from these heart wrenching feelings for as long as I can.  Furthermore, some of the images, such as the one to the right, can be sinister and frightening.  I fear the story could cause more discomfort in a child than is necessary.  At the same time, I recognize that it is important for me to remember that each child is different.  For children who already share feelings similar to the red-headed girl, or older students who have a more complete understanding of emotions this maybe a wonderful book.  I know among adults it certainly results in provocative discussion.

   Therefore, I leave it up to the reader to decide what age group they think this book is appropriate for.  If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it.  I'm very interested in hearing what other people think about this artfully rendered story.

  

My Rating (1-5 stars):

 

Still Curious:   To get a better sense of the book, watch this animated version

Did you know Shaun Tan won the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award in 2011?  It is awarded by the Swedish people of the world to an individual for  his or her work in children's literature that is of the highest artistic caliber.  Check out the ALMA website to learn more!

Shaun Tan also won an Oscar in 2011 for his short film, The Lost Thing , which was based on a picture book he published in 2000.  The following link takes you too a news report where Shaun Tan talks about his work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuS2nA_Bjnc&feature=fvwrel

Lastly, you can visit Shaun Tan's very own web site to find out more information about him, his books and other interesting projects he has worked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment