Sunday, July 29, 2012


Just Being Audrey

Author: Margaret Cardillo
Illustrator: Julia Denos
Published: In 2011 by Balzer + Bray
ISBN:  978-0061852831

Synopsis: 

    Welcome to Just Being Audrey; a delightful picturebook biography about the life of the well renowned and celebrated actress Audrey Hepburn.  Although Audrey is famous for her acting career few people may know that as a child she always aspired to be a ballerina, she even held dance performance to raise money for Resistance troops during World War II!  To get acquainted with Audrey for who she was beyond her films just take a peak at this exquisitely illustrated book.  

  

 

 

 

My Reaction: 

    I'd always seen Audrey Hepburn as a wonderful actress so it was a shear delight to realize she was an upstanding citizen as well.  Just Being Audrey is a truly marvelous book.  The illustrations in it are beautiful, as you can see.  They capture the whimsical essence of Audrey Hepburn and her free-spirited, "do my own thing" attitude.  The illustrator, Julia Denos, spent hours doing research before she put pen to paper.  She "pored over Audrey's films, read her biographies, studied her costumes, [and] heard her interviews."  Therefore, it's not surprising, that she was able to portray Audrey so flawlessly.
     The book's narration was just as meticulously researched.  A bibliography was included at the back of the book, which really impressed me.  So far I have not encountered many books that include a complete bibliography.  Most of the author and illustrators references were biographies about Audrey Hepburn, but one in particular stuck out to me.  It was Audrey Hepburn's Official Website.  I was really excited about this one because it gave me a chance to examine this resource first hand from the comforts of my home.  Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this story about Audrey growing up and becoming who she wanted to be.  I hope you will enjoy it just as much as me. 

 

My Rating (1-5 stars):

 

Still Curious: 

 

Audrey Hepburn has an amazing website.  On this page you can navigate through a timeline of her life complete with real pictures!

You can also watch this documentary about Audrey Hepburn (note it is in three parts):

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment